First White House of the Confederacy
Proud member of the Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce
644 Washington Ave Montgomery, AL 36104-1861
Type: Attractions, Featured IP, Civil Heritage Trail, Free Attractions, Historical
Bus Parking: Yes
The First White House of the Confederacy was the Executive Residence of President Jefferson Davis and family while the capitol of the Confederacy was in Montgomery, Alabama. The house served as the first White House of the Confederacy from February 1861 until late May 1861, when the Confederate capital moved to Richmond, Virginia. Completely furnished with original period pieces from the 1850s and 1860s, the 1835 Italianate style house is open to the public. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1974. It is located across from the south side of the Alabama State Capitol, next door to Archives and History Building.